Tuesday 1 February 2011

roar

So remember how we had those pesky floods destroying large swathes of south-east Queensland? My workplace was one of the things that went under. As in, entirely under. When we first evacuated, management took the position that since we weren't working, we wouldn't be getting paid. When they reopened and we went back to work, we would get a little bit of backpay for the period of the shut down. Whatever, it sucks for me, but that's capitalism for you. I had some money saved. I could deal.

Today, word came down from on high that not only would we not be receiving any amount of pay for the time in which we couldn't work due to a natural disaster, but that the reopening was being delayed until April, at the earliest. This? Is not okay. I was expecting to be back at work some time in February. I do not have enough money to cover rent and food until April-at-the-earliest. Much less things like electricity, the phone bill, and oh yes, roller derby, which is at this point pretty much my sole luxury.

So I'll be gone for a while, because I'm disconnecting my internet and using as little electricity as possible in the name of being able to eat in March, but with some luck either management will stop being douchebags or I'll find a new job. Honestly I'd take a position as a checkout chick right now. We're only just getting back into training, and I don't want to have to bow out on a new season and my new team.

No comments:

Post a Comment