Friday 4 February 2011

that was surreal

So I just survived a class five tropical cyclone. Yaaaaay! For those Americans out there, this is how big it was:

Cyclone Yasi superimposed over the continental USA (via news.com.au).

I was staying with one of my friends up Townsville way when Cyclone Yasi hit--all my stuff is fine, thank god, but I'm starting to think something's out to get me. Recording breaking floods that washed the entire Lockyer Valley away, biggest cyclone to ever hit Australia coming down on my head, and I'm still fine. There's not even property damage. What next, a tsunami? Is Australia going to start sprouting volcanos?

I printed out a bunch of Slender Man Mythos stuff (Seeking Truth, The Tutorial, and the London Librarian--I had a lot of time to kill, okay) to take with me when we evacuated, and  I managed to creep myself the fuck out, reading it by candlelight with Yasi roaring away. Note to self: next time you shelter from a cyclone the size of the America, fluffy literature only. Janet Evanovich, maybe, or Cornelia Funke. No high octane nightmare fuel!

Anyway, I'm back home now, with some slightly soggy Towns Villains crashing on my couch until the SES gives their area the all-clear. I've also solved my money problems in the short term, in a slightly unglamorous way--I've officially quit my job and I'm taking unemployment benefits until I can get work... wherever. If I don't get an interview by mid-February I'm not above seeking work at Woolworths. I just can't afford to be "employed" and not working and more importantly not getting paid. It sucks but I have to be practical.

Kung hei fat choy! (And happy birthday, Anna!)

No comments:

Post a Comment